A Startup Guide to MVP Apps is a presentation by Jedidiah Weller on how to start a technology based startup company for non-technical founders. The following resources are meant as a “Homework” assignment to be completed before the Startup Guide to MVP Apps Workshop.
Pre-workshop Preparation Checklist
1) Download (or copy) a copy of the OpenForge LEAN Canvas, and follow the numbers to write down your business concept on a single page.
Pro tip – Use bullets and keep this to one page! Do not give in to the temptation to create more pages to fit your content. Focus on keeping the messaging as simple as possible.
2) List 3 alternatives or similar applications to the application you are looking to build. Answer the following questions:
- What do you like about each competitor / application?
- What features does it share with your idea / application?
- What features does your idea / application have that is missing in the existing competitors?
- What stylistic elements do you like about each of the competitors?
- What do you not like about each of the competitors?
3) Get out a piece of paper and draw out a very simple user flow of your application. Start with the Login/Registration screen, and proceed with arrows to describe the flow of your application.
The following is an example of the maximum level of detail you should provide.
4) Create a list of high-level features on sticky notes, with one feature per sticky note. Save this for the workshop!
5) Create a list of technical, non-technical, or general questions for the workshop!
Gaining User Acquisition
We look forward to seeing you during your workshop. If you have any questions in the meantime, please reach out to @jedihacks or @openforgemobile on twitter.